Patio dining options abound throughout McKinney, offering all sorts of great places for people watching and enjoying the scenery when the weather is nice. Whether it's sidewalk dining, overlooking a lake, or even eating and playing in a backyard setting, McKinney has so many great options from which to choose. Which of these places will become the favorite(s) of your friends and family? (* Denotes location that also offers live music on the weekends.)
Fine & Casual Dining in Downtown McKinney
- Rick's Chophouse* - Offering one of the first patios on the square, Rick's Chophouse features casual elegance, the best in Texas hospitality, and locally sourced food. (Rick's patio shown in this page's top photo.)
- The Yard: Voted as the Top Restaurant Patio in the Dallas area by readers of the Dallas Morning News and situated in a historic home on the southwest corner of the downtown square, The Yard offers a menu filled with backyard fare from burgers and hotdogs to other picnic or gameday foods. Its casual cuisine, outdoor bar, patios, picnic tables, fire pits, and ping pong tables offer a high "coolness factor," making it the perfect spot for hanging out with friends and family. (The Yard is pictured at right.)
- Spoons: Whether you want to enjoy breakfast all day long, or grab a sandwich, soup, salad, or some comfort food, Spoons Cafe's patio is a great place to people-watch from the corner of Kentucky and Louisiana Streets in the heart of McKinney's downtown square.
- The Garage: Spoons' evening/nightlife location, The Garage is located "behind" Spoons with its entrance and patio off Kentucky Street and is the perfect place to sip on a cocktail and enjoy an appetizer with friends.
- Cadillac Pizza* - "The Caddy" is the "rocking-ist" pizza spot in downtown McKinney, featuring live music throughout the week and a wonderful patio with umbrellas located on the south side of the building with a nice view of the city's first downtown mural. They also have a bar-type seating area out front.
- The Celt Irish Pub* - This downtown McKinney favorite has been recognized multiple times by Irish Pubs Global as Irish Pub of the Year in the Americas! The sizable menu features a wide range of Irish and U.K. cuisine, live music (including Irish jam sessions), and one of the most popular patios on the square.
- Layered - Located on the northside of the square, Layered offers patio dining for breakfast and lunch dining or just enjoying a cup o'joe!
- Square Burger - This popular burger place offers a menu full of locally sourced burgers/sandwiches, a wide selection of beer, and the best fried pickle spears and sweet potato friends around!
- The Guava Tree Cuban Cafe & Cantina - Having operated for years as a very popular food truck, The Guava Tree opened an accompanying brick-and-mortar eatery with an intimate-sized patio located on the south side of downtown McKinney at Chestnut and Louisiana. Look for the hot pink truck and the awesome mural that captures the spirit of the Cuban heritage of the owner's family (shown).
- Rye Craft Food & Drink - An intimate patio fronts this creative American small plates restaurant and craft cocktail bar in historic downtown McKinney. The inventive menu at this gem of a spot in downtown features cuisine unlike any other you'll find on the square, all made lovingly from locally sourced ingredients.
- Snug - This cute breakfast/lunch coffee shop features comfy tables and chairs in its patio located on Kentucky Street, a great place to enjoy an early morning cup of specialty coffee with friends.
Other great patio dining options both in downtown McKinney and other locations in the city are listed below:
- Sugarbacon Proper Kitchen - Housed in a former gas station, Sugarbacon offers an atmosphere that is both fine dining and comfortable. Their patio is covered and can be closed in as needed to allow shelter for diners during inclement weather, as well as offering misters and fans during particularly hot days.
- The Pub McKinney* - Pick a board game to play with friends, grab a seat at the bar, choose a table or booth inside, or opt for the patio that is covered with a patio bar that is a great spot for watching people go by!
- Mellow Mushroom - This funky pizza joint's front wall of windows can be accordioned on nice days to allow patrons to enjoy the weather while chowing down on pizza, subs, salads, and more!
- CT Provisions - With a handcrafted and bold menu and a speakeasy look and feel, this McKinney eatery offers an exciting culinary experience. When the weather is nice, patrons can enjoy their meal and drinks just off the sidewalk in one of two "parklets" (shown at right) on the McKinney square.
- Hugs - This comfy, sweet non-profit cafe employs adults with special needs, and offers a menu of sandwiches, soups, and delicious desserts. (The wedding cake cookies are incredible!) Dine indoors or find a spot in the Hugs parklet out front.
- Landon' Winery - The McKinney location of this popular winery is located on the corner of Louisiana and Kentucky with both indoor and outdoor seating in the heart of downtown McKinney. Landon's patio is one of the largest in the area and is a favorite location for many wine aficionados and their friends!
- Lone Star Wine Cellars *- This old-world wine tasting room, the first to open in downtown McKinney about 20 years ago, is located in McKinney's Historic Ritz Theatre building on the corner of Kentucky and Virginia. The cozy patio (shown at right) sits on the sidewalk of Kentucky Street and features mister fans during hot weather and live music just inside the door (and within easy earshot of the patio) every weekend night.
Patio Dining Elsewhere in McKinney
- Zin Zen Wine Bistro * - Adriatica Croatian Village's premier wine bar offers a patio (shown at right) that's the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine and delicious food while feeling you're in the heart of the Mediterranean. Talented local musicians perform Thursday-Saturday evenings.
- EJ Wills Gastropub* - This west McKinney eatery offers a chef-driven menu of delicious pub food and a great atmosphere "where friends and food come together." Their roomy, covered patio is a comfortable place to gather with friends and listen to live music, too!
- The Grind Burger Bar y Taqueria - This scratch kitchen close to Bonnie Wenk Park features a great seasonal menu of burgers and Tex-Mex offerings as well as a patio complete with heaters, cooling, and fire pits.
- Eleven 17 - This family-owned restaurant provides diners with a good-sized patio overlooking Stonebridge Drive where family and friends will enjoy a comfortable atmosphere and great food and drinks.
- Harry's at the Harbor - Also located in Adriatica, the patio at Harry's at the Harbor (shown featuring Executive Chef Dan Dreyer) offers probably the prettiest restaurant patio view as it overlooks the neighborhood lake that surrounds parts of this Croatian village in the heart of McKinney.
- Hat Creek Burger - This kid-friendly burger place offers an outdoor playground area and seating for parents where families can enjoy a casual meal while the kids are busy!
- Round Table Pizza - Located in the Times Square Building in Craig Ranch, this pizzeria offers plenty of seating both indoors and on the patio as well as having a party room and pool table room.
- Sali's Italian - This neighborhood Italian eatery sits snuggly in a shopping center across from Adriatica and provides a cozy patio for family dining.